Friday, July 29, 2011

Strawberry Swings

#OOMF (that's "One Of My Followers" for those of you not on Twitter) put me on this artist from New Orleans by the name of Frank Ocean.  Once I downloaded his mixtape Nostalgia Live, I knew that this dude was serious.  As a fan, I enjoy and appreciate good music and Frank Ocean has exactly that.

I was in Chattanooga recently for the burial of my aunt and as I was traveling down the interstate I listened to Frank Ocean's mixtape.  I came across a song that became another track on my soundtrack of life...you know how certain songs remind you of certain events in your life?  The track "Strawberry Swings" reminded me of those times I would spend at my grandmother's house.  She had an old swing set that my mother (along with aunts and uncles) would play on when they were younger.  The song talks about the good old days and how life was so much more simple.  In all honesty, the song put me in a very reflective and emotional state due to the circumstances of my aunt and me missing my grandmother.  However, I was able to find joy in the thought that one day I will be able to create some good memories for not only my children, but my children's children--hey I might even buy them a swing set and put it in the backyard! 

The bible teaches us that "a man's days on this Earth are short and full of trouble."  I hope that during my short stay here I'm able to contribute something meaningful and worthwhile to the lives of others!

Mr. Ocean..thanks for providing good music and contributing to my life's soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment